Behavior and Learning Assistance Program
Behaviour and Learning Assistance (BLA) programming supports students displaying chronic, extreme and pervasive behaviours. Students require close and constant adult supervision and a high level of structure to function in an educational setting.
- Develop and demonstrate positive behaviour and social skills
- Achieve academic goals
- Improved social skills
- Improved problem-solving skills
- Improved self-management and coping skills
- Structured classroom environment
- Predictable and clearly articulated routines, procedures, expectations and schedules
- Smaller classes for more targeted instruction
- Opportunities to join other classes for instruction in a student’s area of strength
Students must be in Grades 1 to 9 with severe emotional and behavioural challenges, and a clinical diagnosis. Contact your child’s school for information about eligibility and special education programming options.
All Edmonton Public Schools programming is based on curriculum determined by Alberta Education. Students enrolled in Behaviour and Learning Assistance will receive the same high-quality education offered in all of our programs.
Most schools offering special education needs programming have some yellow busing options available. For more information about busing, contact your child’s school or call Student Transportation at 780-429-8585.